June 28, 2021What Documents Do I Need to Update When I Get Married? 

You’ve taken vows, heard toasts made toward your lasting happiness, and even waltzed (or tripped up) onto the dance floor. Your big day has finally come and gone. You’re married!  

Now the real fun begins — updating all your important documents. Doesn’t sound exciting, does it? But it’s a crucial step once you tie the knot. Here’s a list of essential documents you’ll need to update once you enter the “happily ever after” phase of your life. 

Driver’s License & Social Security Card 

This should be your first stop if you change your name. For social security, it’s not as simple as applying online. Instead, you must: 

  • Obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate, marriage certificate, or other proof of citizenship. 
  • Complete the application for the card and print it. 
  • Mail the application or take it to the local social security office. 

Keep in mind that it could take several weeks to get your new card, so the sooner you do this, the better. After you get your new social security card, take it to the DMV with your marriage certificate to update your driver’s licenseRemember to bring proof of residence if your current address is not on your driver’s license. 

Financial Accounts  

If you plan to add your spouse to your accounts, or change your name as it’s listed on your accounts, do this as soon as you’re married. You don’t have to come into a PEFCU branch to do it. You can request adding your spouse to your current account by emailing the necessary documents, usually a certified copy of your marriage certificate and updated photo ID, to [email protected]. If you’re opening a new joint account, you can apply online 24/7.  

This is also a suitable time to request new debitcredit, and/or ATM cards and update information on your safe deposit box, too. Don’t forget to share your online and mobile banking user information with your spouse.  

Auto, Life, Home Insurance Policies 

If you didn’t update your insurance policies before you got married, you should check your insurance coverage: 

  •  Do you know if you have enough life insurance coverage, especially if you just bought a house?  
  • Will you be covered by your spouse’s health insurance, are you adding your spouse to yours, or are you or leaving coverage as is?  
  • Can your renters or homeowners insurance cover both of your personal property, including those shiny, new wedding rings?  
  • Don’t forget your auto insurance coverage. You’ll have to add a new driver to your policies because you will likely share an address.  

See if you can bundle your auto and homeowners insurance policies to save money. 

 Update Your Beneficiaries 

Updating your beneficiary information on all your accounts is a simple but key step. This is especially important for 401 (k) and IRA accounts. If you or your spouse decide to leave your 401 (k) account to each other or if you prefer to split it, you may need a notarized acknowledgment.  

 Medical Records 

Don’t forget to update your health records. This includes hospitals and doctors ‘ offices if you have changed your name or want to add your spouse as an emergency contact. 

 We’re Here to Help! 

It’s true that marriage is a romantic union, but it’s so much more. The honeymoon is not the only thing to look ahead to after the wedding. You’re entering a legal agreement, and that means letting your employer, financial institutions, and other companies you do business with know about your new status as soon as possible 

 If you have questions about what financial documents you need to update after getting married, you can stop by any branch location, message us via online or mobile banking, or give us a call at 1-800-226-6673, and we’ll be happy to help. 


Each individual’s financial situation is unique, and readers are encouraged to contact PEFCU when seeking financial advice on the products and services discussed. This article is for educational purposes only; It does not constitute legal advice. If such advice or a legal opinion is required, please consult with competent local counsel. 


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *